Home of GFlightsSheet
What is GFlightsSheet?
GFlightsSheet is a Google Spreadsheet add-on.
It is a non commercial project by Michael Enke.
Data Privacy Statement
An imprint is not required since this is a non commerial page. No advertisement, no online shop, nothing to drive you to buy something.
Which Audience is this add-on targeting?
GFlightsSheet is meant to be a tool for pilots in the private sector: Microlights, glider, touring motorglider
and small aircrafts.
Flight time need to be logged in different places, e.g. aircrafts logbook and personal logbook which are paper based.
Building sums is error prone and generating statistics is almost not possible.
Having the same data in an electronic form simplifies such tasks.
In general it is not necessary to have an add-on to create a personal logbook - the speciality of this add-on
is that it supports download and upload of logbook data to 2 popular flightlog platforms
which are used mainly in the german speaking area:
vereinsflieger.de and flightcenterplus.de.
- Data are stored in the Google cloud - no fear to lose data plus access from all devices: PC, tablet, smartphone
- All flightdata in one place, even such not stored in vereinsflieger.de and flightcenterplus.de
- Easier entry of data in a sheet compared to the webapps of vereinsflieger.de and flightcenterplus.de
- Easy check if I'm current in regards of flighttime and landings
You can take a look at these screenshots of some sheets which build up the spreadsheet:
How to use GFlightsSheet
This add-on is not listed in the Chrome Web Store - it is a G Suite add-on available from the G Suite Marketplace.
- Installation via this link
Alternatively from within an open Google spreadsheet: In the Add-on menu - select Get add-ons or Manage add-ons
Enter the name GFlightSheet into the search field and when found press the Install button.
You are asked to grant the add-on permissions. In detail these are:
Revokation of that permissions can be done at https://myaccount.google.com/permissions
- View and manage spreadsheets that this application has been installed in
- Connect to an external service
- Allow this application to run when you are not present
this time driven functionality is not used by the addon, however this permission is required as well for the onChange trigger functionality
- Display and run third-party web content in prompts and sidebars inside Google applications
- Now you have to allow GFlightsSheet to access the sheet you are currently on:
- When you want to use GFlightsSheet in a new file, permission has to be granted for that:
After giving that permission the menu will repopulate:
- Select english or deutsch - deutsch = german is the default after installation
When you have an account at vereinsflieger.de or flightcenterplus.de,
select Vereinsflieger/FlightCenterPlus account. You can choose to remember that data or provide it for every access again:
With Create logbook you create the flightlog structure. Once finished, the dialog will tell you to go to Settings tab and adjust the settings:
What license type you have and flight times which are not part of GFlightsSheet (e.g. when you decide to not store data older than 2 years in this sheet).
When you have an account at vereinsflieger.de and/or flightcenterplus.de you can download the data which is already existing there:
At all times it is possible to download data from vereinsflieger.de or flightcenterplus.de.
Only data newer than the last table entry is transferred (except for FIs - 7 days back are transferred in case a student did log his flights belated).
- When you flew, enter your data in the Google Spreadsheet:
and select from the menu to upload it (to vereinsflieger.de and/or flightcenterplus.de):
- Start with entering the registration. It's sufficient to enter an abbreviation,
e.g. ddk for D-KDDK as long as this abbreviation is unique across the registrations in the Aircrafts sheet
when the registration abbreviation was entered, default values (based on data in Aircrafts sheet) are filled into that new row
- Make sure the registration you enter is already listed in the Aircrafts sheet - otherwise entering is refused.
- The data in Aircrafts sheet are used only for new entries in Flightdata sheet.
When you no longer flight a certain aircraft you can remove it from Aircrafts sheet.
If you do not have configured an account, this up- and download is of course not available.
- If a row is marked for transfer to Vereinsflieger/FlightCenterPlus but you don't want it to be uploaded, expand the hidden columns behind column Z.
In column changed delete the value 1 for that row. Be careful to not modify column Class, otherwise the statistic gets wrong.
- Input of Attendants: In case Vereinsflieger/FlightCenterPlus you don't want the names of attendants but only the count,
the field values must be + followed by number of attendants. All behind a following space will not be uploaded.
To allow a + as first character in sheets one has to prefix it with an ' (apostrophe)
Input: '+2 Emma+Luisa which is stored in the sheet as +2 Emma+Luisa and transferred to Vereinsflieger/FlightCenterPlus as +2
- The structure of the spreadsheet is fixed. When you rename a tab or change the sequence of the tabs, the add-on can not work as expected:
What you can do: Add your own sheets or columns (behind the existing once), hide existing sheets and/or columns.
- The sequence is important since the sheets are references by index number.
- When changing sheet names, changing the language will not translate those changed texts.
- Changing the sequence of columns in the sheets will break the add-on as well.
- Whenever Vereinsflieger or FlightCenterPlus changes it's websites (modify the login page, the login process or how personal or flight data is read/written),
this add-on has to be adopted to that changes. There is unfortunately no agreed interface between Vereinsflieger/FlightCenterPlus and this add-on.
Instead the technique used for this add-on is screen scraping.
- On mobile phones, only adding flight data to the sheet is possible. Upload to Vereinsflieger/FlightCenterPlus is not possible.